Do I Need a Lawyer After a Car Accident in Georgia?
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, there are approximately 1,500 deaths each year in Georgia from car accidents. Additionally, according to car accident statistics from the Georgia DOT, there are about 7,000 car accidents each year in Macon, Georgia that are responsible for approximately 3,500 injuries.
With these unsettling accident statistics, it is important to understand your rights if you or a loved one has been involved in a car accident in Georgia. A lawyer experienced in personal injury cases is your best guide to help you navigate such a scary experience.
When Should I Get an Attorney?
If you sustained no injuries or minor injuries that resulted in medical bills totaling less than $1,000, then you can probably negotiate a settlement with an insurance company or adjuster yourself. However, you should contact an attorney for any claims higher than that. Personal injury cases settled with an attorney average three times more payout than those without one.
Also, you will want to contact an attorney if you were involved in one of the following types of accidents:
- An accident involving a motorcycle, pedestrian, or bicyclist
- An accident caused by a DUI driver
- A head on collision
- An accident occurring in road construction
- Any accident involving an 18-wheeler truck
- Any accident resulting in missed time from work
- Any accident resulting in permanent deformities or injuries
Reasons Why You Need a Lawyer
- Statute of Limitations: in Georgia you have 2 years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. Failure to file a lawsuit in that time period forecloses your ability to file suit.
- There are rules and procedures that must be followed when filing a lawsuit: an experienced lawyer knows the laws and knows how to file a lawsuit to ensure no mistakes are made.
- Insurance companies are not on your side: Insurance companies work to keep their costs down and reduce their expenses. Insurance companies may not be willing to give you your full compensation for your injuries and damages. In fact, insurance companies will often low ball you just to see if you will settle for a lesser amount.
- You may not know all of your recovery options: In complex cases such as those involving 18 wheeler trucks, there are a number of potential recovery options.
- Proving who was liable for the accident isn’t always easy: Even with police reports and witnesses, insurance companies may not agree with who was at-fault. An attorney that understands the law and how to investigate a case can help show how the other party was at-fault.
- Guidance with settlement options: Most cases are settled out of court. A lawyer can determine if the offer from the insurance company is fair.
What a Lawyer Can Do to Help
- A lawyer can guide you to the best treatment: A lawyer can guide you to doctors to help your recovery or for pain management and then make sure those doctors receive payment after your case is settled.
- A lawyer handles the insurance companies, so you don’t have to: It’s common for more than one insurance company to be involved when there is an accident. A personal injury lawyer has experience dealing with insurance companies and their claims adjusters. They make the phone calls, emails, and gather documentation so you don’t have to.
- Personal injury lawyers make sure your medical bills will get paid: Getting constant phone calls and mail from doctors and treatment facilities can be overwhelming while you are trying to recover. Personal injury lawyers will contact these doctor’s and facilities and let them know they are handling the case and will make sure then are paid when the case is settled.
- Get more compensation: With an experienced personal injury lawyer you will more than likely end up with more money than if you had settled your case on your own. This is even after paying your lawyer. Experienced lawyers can ensure insurance adjusters are fair. If the insurance adjuster is being unreasonable then the lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf.
Contact the lawyers at the Brodie Law Group for Help with Your Car Accident
The lawyers and staff at the Brodie Law Group have the knowledge and experience to help you recover for your injuries and damages sustained due to the negligence of other drivers. We work to make sure you receive the maximum recovery amount available to you under the law. Contact our office today at (478) 239-2780 to learn how we can help you today.